Conveniently located to serve the areas of Beverly Hills and Greater Los Angeles
Fat transfer, also known as autologous fat grafting, is a versatile body enhancement treatment that removes surplus fat from areas of concern and relocates it to areas lacking volume. To do so, unwanted fat from places such as the abdomen or thigh is extracted, filtered, and injected into areas such as the face, breasts, or buttocks.  The treatment provides patients with two significant benefits: slimming down areas of concern and plumping target areas.
Dr. Michael Omidi is a dedicated plastic surgeon who has been providing patients in the Southern California area with unbeatable cosmetic enhancements for 15 years. Contact his Beverly Hills office directly at (310) 281-0155 to schedule a private consultation. Together, the meeting will see what enhancements are possible for you.
- 1 Before and After Photos
- 2 About a Fat Transfer
- 3 Benefits
- 4 Candidates
- 5 Personal Consultation with Dr. Omidi
- 6 Preparation
- 7 Procedure
- 8 Recovery
- 9 Results
- 10 Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
- 11 Cost of a Fat Transfer in Beverly Hills, CA
- 12 FAQ
- 13 References
Before and After Photos
About a Fat Transfer
Fat grafting has been used to correct congenital deficiencies and wounds since the late 1800s and has been perfected ever since.  First, in 1974, rapid changes in technology led to incorporating liposuction to remove fat easily. Then, in 1987, the procedure included fat purification to decrease complications during liposuction. These improvements are still used in treatment today and have enhanced multiple areas of the body. Below are some places you can improve with the help of a fat transfer from Dr. Omidi:
Facial Fat Transfer
Fat transfers to the face can reduce the appearance of facial wrinkles and acne scars. The procedure can also plump and fill areas such as the cheeks and lips, adding rejuvenating volume to your features.
Patients preferring to achieve a subtle, natural aesthetic without implants can get a fat transfer for the breasts. The procedure is excellent for those who want to avoid developing an adverse reaction or those replacing their implants every several years.
Also known as a Brazilian Butt Lift, this procedure utilizes fat from the abdomen, back, flanks, and thighs to increase the size and projection of the bottom. It’s a great choice for people who want to remove excess fat from another area of their body and use it to enhance their silhouette.
Patients with a low nasal dorsum (the bridge of the nose) or short nose may benefit from fat grafting. Since the nasal dorsum is thin skin, implants may become dislodged or create an unnatural look, so a fat transfer may be a more effective treatment route.
Patients have the luxury of having a treatment that addresses two problems: eliminating stubborn fat and enhancing different areas of the body, using this fat. A procedure also provides patients with a:
- Versatile treatment that can treat multiple areas of the body
- Lower chance of an allergic reaction or rejection from the body
- Straightforward surgical process with minimal pain and quick recovery time
- Rewarding, natural, long-lasting enhancement to treated areas
Fat transfer candidates want to make realistic, long-lasting changes to their aesthetic without implants or surgery. To be considered, Dr. Omidi recommends patients to:
- Be in good physical health and at an ideal weight
- Be okay with holding off on smoking until you’re healed
- Have sufficient fat deposits in donor areas
- Understand the kind of results you can expect from a fat transfer
Personal Consultation with Dr. Omidi
For the last 15 years, Michael Omidi, M.D., F.A.C.S., has provided the Southern California area with meaningful cosmetic improvements to the face, nose, breast, and more. Thousands of patients have turned to Dr. Omidi not only for the results but because he has built a reputation as a source of innovation, intellect, and insight.
Dr. Omidi understands that no two situations are the same. A fat transfer consultation differs between patients because there may be many areas to treat and target. He’ll use the meeting to thoroughly evaluate your medical and surgical history, assess your concerns, and develop a customized treatment plan. Once he determines that a fat transfer will help you achieve the desired aesthetics, he will explain the specifics of the treatment in better detail. Our staff will then schedule your appointment and provide you with a list of items to complete before treatment.
Call our offices directly at (310) 281-0155 to schedule a consultation. Or, schedule a virtual appointment if you cannot make it to our office.
Carrying out the following steps a few weeks before your appointment will help alleviate stress, reduce complications, and ensure a desirable outcome for your aesthetic. They include:
- Stop smoking until you’re fully recovered. Smoking may compromise your ability to heal and increase the risk of complications.
- Pausing certain pain relievers, vitamins, and supplements. They may cause unnecessary bruising.
- Planning to have a friend or family member pick you up from our offices. Doing so takes the stress off from driving home right after your surgery.
- Taking off a few days from work to concentrate on your recovery.
Depending on your treatment, you will be administered either local anesthesia or general anesthesia. Either anesthetic will provide comfort so you can enjoy a stress-free treatment. Then, Dr. Omidi will follow your treatment plan by carrying out the following steps:
First, an incision is made in the donor area(s). Dr. Omidi will then insert a slim cannula to remove fat from underneath the skin.  After this stage is complete, you should have a more defined treated area.
The fat is processed to remove fibers, blood, and debris.  After the fat is processed, it is prepared for injection.
The newly processed fat is then injected into the recipient area at varying depths of the soft tissue.  Finally, he will sculpt the treatment area until the desired aesthetic is achieved.
Due to the highly customizable nature of each fat transfer procedure, recovery times will vary. Whichever treatment you receive, plan to take it easy because you may experience mild bouts of postoperative discomfort, swelling, bruising, and soreness.  Take the antibiotics and pain medication as directed and apply an ice pack regularly. Doing these two things will help you overcome these symptoms. Some patients may be placed with a compression garment to protect their results and reduce swelling for a few weeks. Our office will give you instructions on when to take it off.
Try your best to avoid putting pressure on these treated areas for at least two weeks. You can continue moderately strenuous tasks and work within two weeks, but wait an additional 3-4 weeks before engaging in more strenuous activity.
Fat transfers can produce remarkable, natural-looking results. They last much longer than the dermal fillers and provide significant changes that don’t look exaggerated. Moreover, most patients will see their enhancements last for years!
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
Dr. Omidi is pleased to offer patients a variety of surgical and non-surgical treatments. When you come into your initial consultation, he will explore various options to help you attain your desired visual aesthetic. They include:
- BodyTite: This minimally invasive body contouring treatment uses the power of radiofrequency (RF) energy to tighten skin, liquidize fat, and liposuction it away. Patients can achieve slimmer contours for the thighs, abdomen, arms, and chest in one session.
- Kybella: Patients wanting a non-surgical, minimally invasive treatment can look forward to a Kybella treatment to enhance the lower third of the face. The injectable contains deoxycholic acid, a naturally-occurring substance that absorbs fat. When injected, the acid destroys fat cells underneath the chin. Gradually, the body works to get rid of these cells naturally. In a few weeks, patients can see a dramatic difference in their facial appearance.
Cost of a Fat Transfer in Beverly Hills, CA
A fat transfer treatment is as unique as you. It is a highly customized process that can enhance many areas of the body. As such, the final pricing of the procedure will depend on several factors. When you come in for your consultation, we’ll discuss your estimated costs for you. If you’re interested, we can direct you to funding resources such as CareCredit. They offer favorable interest rates and affordable payment plans.
How will I know if I am a candidate for a fat transfer?
Fat transfer candidates are usually looking for a treatment to solve two problems: get rid of stubborn body fat and volumize other body areas. To be sure if this treatment is right for you, schedule an appointment with your doctor.
How long do results from a fat transfer last?
Patients who choose to enhance their body with a fat transfer procedure can see their results last for several years. As long as you maintain a healthy lifestyle filled with healthy eating and exercise, the results of a fat transfer can last for a long time.
Is a fat transfer painful?
There is little to no pain associated with a fat transfer. Patients are given the appropriate amount of anesthesia to ensure they are comfortable. After the fat transfer is complete, mild post-surgical discomfort, bruising and swelling may be present. However, after a few days, they should go away by taking the prescribed medication and regularly applying an ice pack to the affected area.
- Shiffman, M. A., & Mirrafati, S. (2001). Fat Transfer Techniques: The Effect of Harvest and Transfer Methods on Adipocyte Viability and Review of the Literature. Dermatologic Surgery, 27(9), 819–826. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1524-4725.2001.01062.x
- Simonacci, F., Bertozzi, N., Grieco, M. P., Grignaffini, E., & Raposio, E. (2017). Procedure, applications, and outcomes of autologous fat grafting. Annals of Medicine and Surgery, 20, 49–60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amsu.2017.06.059