Tummy tuck surgery, also known as abdominoplasty, is a transformative procedure that can help individuals achieve a more toned and sculpted abdomen after experiencing significant weight loss. This procedure specifically addresses the excess skin and stubborn fat deposits that often remain after massive weight loss, providing patients with a smoother, firmer, and more contoured abdominal area. Because of their effective results, abdominoplasties are incredibly popular; over 100,000 Americans received this surgery in 2020 alone. (1)
Dr. Michael Omidi is an award-winning, board-certified plastic surgeons located in Beverly Hills, California. His expertise offers patients an experience that prioritizes their health, transparent and honest communication, and the philosophy that less is more when it comes to cosmetic changes. Our compassionate team is ready to guide you through your tummy tuck journey and help you regain confidence in your appearance. Call our office today at (310) 281-0155 or schedule your consultation online with our contact page.
- 1 Before and After Photos
- 2 About Loose Skin After Weight Loss
- 3 Benefits of a Tummy Tuck After Massive Weight Loss
- 4 Personal Consultation
- 5 Preparation
- 6 Procedure Options
- 7 Recovery and Results
- 8 How Much is a Tummy Tuck in Beverly Hills?
- 9 FAQ
- 10 References
Before and After Photos
About Loose Skin After Weight Loss
Significant weight loss is a massive achievement for anyone to celebrate, whether by significant lifestyle change or bariatric surgery. Unfortunately, many people who reach their weight loss goals are met with the issue of loose skin that can causes rashes, infections, and excess sweat. As a result, they may still feel a sense of insecurity in their appearance.
Research has shown that patients who undergo bariatric surgery have increased elastic fibers and decreased collagen in their skin. This is why the skin after weight loss has very little rigidity but is able to stretch more than it would naturally. In addition, the connective proteins in the skin that remain are thin, misaligned, and disorganized. (2) The body can’t restore the proper amount of proteins needed for taut skin, and a tummy tuck procedure is almost always the only solution.
What is a Panniculectomy?
Dr. Omidi’s approach to this procedure is more comprehensive and flexible to weight loss patients’ needs, so a panniculectomy may be performed along with the surgical techniques of a tummy tuck. A panniculectomy involves more complex methods to remove the pannus, or the large flap of skin that can hang over the pubic area.
Benefits of a Tummy Tuck After Massive Weight Loss
There are numerous benefits you can experience through our tummy tuck procedure:
- Smoother, flatter midsection – Tummy tucks remove excess skin as well as pockets of fat that may be contributing to more belly bulge and irregularities after massive weight loss.
- Strengthens and repairs the abdominal muscles – A tummy tuck is not only cosmetic, but it can fix cases of diastasis recti, a condition in which the abdominal muscles separate from each other and cause midsection weakness. While it occurs during pregnancy or significant weight gain, the muscles cannot repair themselves afterward. Your surgeon will utilize permanent sutures to strategically promote tightening from within.
- Reduction of stretch marks and old scars – The procedure can fully remove or significantly reduce scars if they happen to be on loose, hanging skin. This includes old C-section and hysterectomy scars. Since skin is tightened and redraped during the surgery, it can reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
- The surgical scar is subtle – The main incision for a tummy tuck runs horizontally from hip to hip, right above the pubic area. This long scar can be discreetly hidden under a bathing suit. Another very small incision is sometimes made around the belly button.
- Less worry over rashes and skin issues – Without the pannus hanging over the abdomen, keeping your body dry, clean, and friction-free will be much easier.
- Reduced back pain – The excess tissue and skin the drapes over the abdomen can contribute to poor posture and back issues. Taking this weight off your body can provide huge relief.
- Increased body confidence – Feeling good in your body is a critical part of your overall confidence in both your personal and professional life. After your procedure, you will feel empowered to wear the clothes you like and exude more positivity about your weight loss accomplishment.
If you have recently experienced massive weight loss and are seeking comprehensive body contouring to achieve your desired aesthetic, contact Dr. Omidi at (310) 281-0155 to schedule a consultation at our esteemed Beverly Hills practice. For your convenience, you may also schedule through our online form. To get an idea of other procedure we offer, feel free to glance through our blog.
Dr. Omidi will carefully review your medical history, the quality of your skin, and any potential risk factors. To ensure your safety during surgery, we will conduct blood tests to detect any underlying conditions that may require special attention or precautions. You will be required to stop taking anti-inflammatories and blood thinners for at least 2 weeks in order to prevent the likelihood of bruising or excessive bleeding.
If you are a smoker, you’ll be advised to stop for 4 to 6 weeks before your surgery so that your blood circulation and healing processes work optimally. Finally, you’ll want to pick up your prescription medications, any over-the-counter medications, ice packs, gauze pads, and comfortable clothing that will ease your recovery.
Depending on the amount of skin and fat removed, you may need a full tummy tuck or an extended tummy tuck. After you’re properly anesthetized, Dr. Omidi may start with liposuction, if necessary. He will inject tumescent fluid into the abdomen through a tiny incision just a couple of millimeters. This solution is comprised of lidocaine and epinephrine to properly numb the midsection and make the fat denser and easier to collect. A thin instrument called a cannula is then inserted to suction pockets of fat for a sculpting effect.
Dr. Omidi will then make a horizontal incision from hip to hip directly above the pubic area. He may also make an incision that follows the contour of the belly button. This part of the procedure involves the repair of abdominal muscles, the trimming of excess skin, and more fat removal.
The skin is redraped to promote a taut appearance, and it is sutured to its new location. Your belly button will remain intact and in place throughout the procedure, but a new opening for it will be made when the skin is redraped. The internal sutures used to strengthen abdominal muscles are permanent, but your surgeon will remove external sutures on the pubic line after 1 week.
A panniculectomy is more extensive than a tummy tuck because there is more skin removal involved. This procedure takes more than 2 hours and requires general anesthesia. Although this procedure can be performed at the same time as a tummy tuck, some patients only choose to do a panniculectomy. Howevder, it’s important to note that only a tummy tuck will adequately address abdominal weakness.
Recovery and Results
Immediately after the procedure, Dr. Omidi will secure a compression garment to put gentle pressure on your abdomen. This way, your incision will have adequate blood circulation required for healing but enough compression to reduce swelling. For the next 2 to 8 weeks, you will be required to wear it 24/7, with the exception of bathing.
Most tummy tucks performed after massive weight loss will require a drain that allows fluid to exit the abdomen. Your surgeon will monitor you for when this drain can be removed; it’s usually only necessary for a few days.
After a trusted family member or friend drives you home, you will want to rest as much as possible for the first couple of days. You may feel sore or uncomfortable, but it can be alleviated with taking appropriate medication as instructed by Dr. Omidi. After the first couple of days, you should prioritize light walking to promote healthy blood flow to the incision. Most patients are able to return to work and light exercise after 2 weeks, but strenuous exercise should be postponed until at least 6 weeks after your procedure.
How Much is a Tummy Tuck in Beverly Hills?
The cost of a tummy tuck will vary depending on several factors that are unique to each patient. During your consultation, you’ll receive an estimate for your chosen procedure. To book your tummy tuck procedure, and to discuss its specific benefits to your unique needs, call (310) 281-0155 or fill out a simple form to contact our booking staff.
How do I know if I need a tummy tuck or panniculectomy?
Panniculectomies are designed for patients who have lost a significant amount of weight and now have a large flap of skin over their abdomen. Tummy tucks are individually customized for patients who wants to sculpt and trim fat off of their abdomen. To determine which is right for you, contact an experienced plastic surgeon.
Are the results of a tummy tuck permanent?
If you maintain a healthy diet and exercise routine, the results of your tummy tuck will endure for many years.
How can I reduce the scars from a tummy tuck?
Eating a diet high in protein and following aftercare instructions carefully will ensure that your scars aren’t thick or raised. During your recovery, you may ask your doctor about applying scar cream and/or silicone gel to reduce their appearance.
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. 2020 National Plastic Surgery Statistics.; 2021. https://www.plasticsurgery.org/documents/News/Statistics/2020/plastic-surgery-statistics-report-2020.pdf
- Rocha RI, Junior WC, Modolin MLA, Takahashi GG, Caldini ETEG, Gemperli R. Skin Changes Due to Massive Weight Loss: Histological Changes and the Causes of the Limited Results of Contouring Surgeries. Obesity Surgery. 2021;31(4):1505-1513. doi:https://doi.org/10.1007/s11695-020-05100-3