Breast augmentation, known clinically as a “mammoplasty,” is consistently one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures performed in America, with one of the highest satisfaction ratings among patients. Breast augmentation can restore or create a better figure with more balanced proportions, and allow you to feel more confident in your femininity.
Dr. Michael Omidi is a top expert in breast surgery, and is double board-certified in both plastic surgery and general surgery. He stays on top of all the latest technologies and techniques in order to provide you with the best possible results. Schedule your consultation today by calling 310-281-0155.
Learn more about breast augmentation by visiting the following sections:
- What is breast augmentation?
- Benefits of breast augmentation
- Are you a candidate for breast augmentation?
- Which type of breast implant is right for you?
- Breast augmentation through fat transfer
- What is a breast augmentation procedure like?
- Breast augmentation recovery
- Can I breastfeed after breast augmentation surgery?
- Breast lift vs. breast augmentation
- Combination breast augmentation procedures
- Schedule your breast augmentation consultation
Breast augmentation can be done either through implants or through fat grafting. Implants can create more volume, but require a more extensive surgical procedure. Fat transfer to the breasts can create a more natural and subtle appearance, as fat from your own body is injected into the breasts for a fuller look.
Breast augmentation is specifically designed to add more volume and shape to the breasts. If you have breasts that are sagging significantly, you may benefit more from a breast lift procedure, or a breast lift combined with breast augmentation.
Dr. Omidi performs breast augmentation procedures using both implants and fat transfer, and he will let you know which type of augmentation is best for you during your consultation.
Women choose to have breast augmentation done for a number of reasons. Maybe you’ve lost volume in the breasts after having a child and want to restore your pre-pregnancy figure. Maybe you’ve always had small breasts and dreamed of having larger ones. Breast augmentation can help you achieve these goals.
"Going in for the consultation, I was unsure if I actually wanted to go through an augmentation. I met with Dr. Michael Omidi and immediately felt reassured and knew Dr. Michael would do an amazing job. I scheduled my procedure that day and within a month was on my way to the surgical center."
Some of the main benefits of this procedure can include:
- Fuller and perkier bust
- More balanced figure
- Restoration of volume following deflation after pregnancy, breast feeding, or weight loss
- Asymmetry correction
- Self-confidence boost
- Better-fitting clothes, swimsuits, and lingerie
Discuss with Dr. Omidi the best way to achieve the appearance you’ve always wanted.
While breast augmentation is a popular and safe procedure, it may not be right for everyone. The ideal candidate for breast augmentation is:
- A non-smoker, or able to quit smoking for a few weeks before and after surgery
- Having surgery for yourself and not for anyone else
- Aware of the potential risks and has realistic expectations
If you have a chronic medical condition, it may not necessarily prohibit you from having breast augmentation. As long as your condition is under control and you get clearance for elective surgery through your primary care physician, breast surgery should still be an option. Make sure to tell Dr. Omidi your medical history during your consultation.
There are a number of breast implant options on the market today, and each has its own benefits and drawbacks. Dr. Omidi offers the following types of implants for his breast augmentation patients:
- Saline Implants: Saline implants are filled with sterile saltwater. This type of implant requires smaller incisions than others, but may have a firmer feel. They are often less expensive, and they are FDA approved for patients aged 18 and over.
- Silicone Implants: Silicone implants are filled with a silicone gel that offers a more natural feel than saline implants. They also have a lower risk of rupture, but it is less easy to tell if one has ruptured. Silicone implants are FDA approved for those aged 21 and over.
- Cohesive Gel (“Gummy Bear”) Implants: “Gummy bear” implants are the newest type of implant on the market, and are filled with a thicker silicone gel to maintain their shape. They create the most natural look and feel, and stay in place without shifting.
Dr. Omidi will work with you to find the type of implant that is best for your individual goals. Keep in mind, though, that in the end, the skill of the surgeon matters more to your final results than the type of implant used.
If you are uncomfortable with the idea of implants, Dr. Omidi also offers fat transfer breast augmentation. Also known as natural breast augmentation, this procedure can enhance your breasts without the use of implants.
During fat transfer breast augmentation, liposuction is used to collect fat from your body. This fat is then processed and injected into your breasts in order to create a subtle enhancement.
Breast augmentation through fat transfer offers the following benefits:
- More natural-looking results than with implants
- Reduced risk
- Fat originating from your body is less likely to be rejected
- Faster recovery with less scarring
- Your body is also contoured through the liposuction
Talk to Dr. Omidi to see if you may be a good candidate for fat transfer breast augmentation.
Breast augmentation surgery is very safe, with long-lasting results. Before surgery, you should stop smoking and stop taking any medications that may contribute to increased bleeding during your breast surgery. Dr. Omidi will let you know which specific medications to avoid.
The day before your surgery, you should avoid eating or drinking anything after midnight. On the morning of your surgery, take your prescribed nausea medication with a small sip of water, and avoid wearing makeup or perfume.
If you get sick before your breast surgery, call us to let us know. A mild cold is usually fine, but if you have a fever, it may be better to postpone the surgery.
Breast augmentation surgery generally takes only one to one and half hours. Dr. Omidi will take care to make all incisions as small and inconspicuous as possible, and he utilizes the no-touch technique and the Keller Funnel in order to maximize sterility and results.
There are a number of different incision options available for breast augmentation, including:
- Through the armpit (axillary)
- Through the belly button (trans-umbilical)
- Around the areola (areolar)
- Under the breasts (inframammary)
In addition to these incision options, you also have options for where to place the implant itself. It can be placed either over the muscle or under. Dr. Omidi will discuss with you the best incision and placement options for your goals.
Immediately after surgery, you should make arrangements for someone to drive you home. If you are unable to do so, let us know, and we will arrange an after-care facility for you to stay in overnight.
We also recommend having someone around to help you out with everyday chores and childcare for the first few days after surgery, so that you are able to get the rest you need to recover properly. You should especially avoid doing anything that may strain your chest muscles.
Each patient recovers at a different rate, but in general, this is the breast augmentation recovery timeline you can expect:
- Immediately after surgery: Rest and recover. Take pain medication as prescribed. Avoid lifting your arms too high.
- 3 to 7 days after surgery: You can return to work or school. If you have a physically demanding job, you may need to wait longer. Refrain from strenuous exercise and be sure to get the rest you need.
- A week after surgery: You can take off your bandages or surgical bra and swap for a real bra (or go braless). Avoid buying expensive new bras, as your breast size will fluctuate for the next month or so.
- Two weeks after surgery: Swelling in the breasts should begin to subside. However, don’t be alarmed if your breasts continue to be swollen, or look asymmetric during this time. It can take three to four months for all swelling to dissipate, and up to 6 months for all residual swelling to disappear.
- Two to four weeks after surgery: You can resume light exercise such as elliptical or stretching after two weeks, but you should wait at least four weeks for anything more strenuous. Check with Dr. Omidi if you are unsure about performing any specific exercise.
Patients often ask us if they need to sleep on their back after breast augmentation. The answer is yes, for a limited time. You should sleep on your back for at least three to four weeks after surgery to ensure that your implants do not shift. After this time, your implants will have settled in and you can sleep in whatever position is most comfortable for you.
A very common concern among women considering breast augmentation is whether or not they will be able to breastfeed after the surgery. Luckily, breast implants do not typically interfere with breastfeeding ability. The majority of new mothers breastfeed their children with no problems after they have had breast augmentation surgery.
The only time that breast augmentation might interfere with breastfeeding is if your implant was placed above the muscle and your plastic surgeon disturbed the milk glands. Dr. Omidi is extremely meticulous and exact in all of his breast augmentation surgeries, and if he is placing an implant above the muscle, he will take care to leave the milk glands undisturbed.
What's the difference between a breast lift and a breast augmentation? This is a common question we are asked. In short, a breast lift is designed to lift sagging breasts into a perkier and more youthful position, but not necessarily enlarge their size. A breast augmentation will not significantly lift breasts that have a large amount of sagging, but it will give you a bigger cup size as well as a rounder, fuller shape.
It is very common to combine a breast lift and breast augmentation together for women who want to both lift and enlarge their breasts. This combination procedure is often the best choice for women whose breasts have deflated and sagged after childbirth.
Breast enhancement surgery can be combined with other types of cosmetic surgery for a full body makeover that addresses all of the problem areas you are concerned about. Common procedures that many women get in addition to breast augmentation include:
These combination procedures are often called a "mommy makeover," because they can help mothers get back their pre-childbirth body. However, you do not have to be a mom to want to improve your body. If you'd like to reduce some stubborn fat while at the same time creating a perky and more symmetrical bust, ask Dr. Omidi which procedures can best help you.
If you are ready to take the first step towards fuller, larger, more even breasts, call Dr. Omidi today at 310-281-0155 to schedule your one-on-one consultation. We serve patients in and around greater Los Angeles and the Inland Empire, with offices in Beverly Hills, Encino, Pomona, and Apple Valley.